If you choose to carry a firearm concealed remember that YOU are responsible for your firearm at all times. Many women choose to carry a firearm concealed in a purse. A valid concern with purse carry is control of the firearm. Your purse can be snatched away from you much more easily than a gun that is carried on your body. Because of these concerns, off the body carry in a bag or purse requires some specific attention.
NEED TO KNOW INFO ON CARRYING CONCEALED IN A PURSE
- Make sure your firearm and any ammunition(magazines, speed loaders, etc.) are secure in their appropriate compartments.
- Do not place any other items like keys, makeup, etc. in the compartment that holds your firearm.
- Keep your purse with you.
- Never leave your purse lying around or hang it on the back of a chair.
- Wear the bag containing your firearm or, if seated, hold it on your lap or firmly between your feet.
Because a bag can be carried in so many different ways, those who choose to carry a firearm this way need to keep some additional things in mind.
SHOOT TIP – PISTOL PACKING IN A PURSE AND DRIVING
- Take care when putting your purse down.
- Place your purse within easy reach but not anywhere where it could impede with your driving.
- Keep your bag close to you and never within reach of children.
- Orient the purse so that you will have quick access to the firearm but also ensure that the gun is pointed in a safe direction.
- Remember that carrying a firearm is a huge responsibility and that you are responsible for your firearm at all times.
By Julie Golob. Shared with permission. Get Julie's book, SHOOT, here.